12Next
Return to List Add thread
View: 453|Reply: 10

Disable the new (pointless??) navbar

[Copy Link]
Posted at 2017-11-7 14:12:14 | All floors |Read mode
Is there an option to fully disable the newly added navbar? I cant understand why you guys would add the navbar on a phone that has its own buttons.  If some people want it that's fine but you need to include a way to FULLY disable it like it should be on a phone that has its own buttons!

Use props Report

Posted at 4 DayBefore | All floors
Last edited by nanabosho In 2017-11-15 05:41 Editor

if your phone is rooted, you can trick the system into thinking it has hardware keys and thus get rid of soft keys by going into the build.props and typing the following(make sure you do this at the very end of the code IE make a new line)

qemu.hw.mainkeys = 1

im aware theres another line just like this...ignore it.

my navi bar hasnt popped up yet so atm i think this works!

if anyone is curious my root is magisk 14.3
i used the root browser and went into system files, build props will be towards the end
Reply Support 1 Opposition 0

Use props Report

Posted at 2017-11-8 17:15:49 | All floors
Last edited by ttaazz In 2017-11-8 18:22 Editor
@ttaazz, Speaking of which, I'm using Nova Launcher - which is great! - and it allows you to simply toggle off the Google Search Bar - Good Bye!  The free version of Nova Launcher on the Google Play store includes this capability. I don't have any experience with other third party launchers, but they probably have this option as well.

I've tried Nova launcher too, but the only problem I have with it is that you cannot change the number of icons horizontally in the desktop grid size because (I think) the screen is too small, so this option is not available. I'm stuck with 4 horizontally by whatever I wish vertically, but I'd like to set it to 3 :-/

EDIT: I solved my problem! By setting the font size to the smallest, now I can change the number of the icons horizontally! Yay!

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view, Not have an account?Register now

x

Use props Report

Posted at 2017-11-7 17:23:14 | All floors
Is there an option to fully disable the newly added navbar? I cant understand why you guys would add the navbar on a phone that has its own buttons.  If some people want it that's fine but you need to include a way to FULLY disable it like it should be on a phone that has its own buttons!

That would be cool if it could be done as there is an unselectable option in the parameters to hide this bar (you can only change the order of the buttons right now)... This should be the best option, as maybe some users would still want this bar.

And another feature that would be great would be to remove the Google search bar from the homescreen (but I don't know if it's possible easily) - I don't have any use for it and it also eats a significant part of the screen.

Use props Report

Posted at 2017-11-8 00:52:54 | All floors
ttaazz Posted at 2017-11-7 17:23
That would be cool if it could be done as there is an unselectable option in the parameters to hid ...

I completely agree with you. Google search is bulky
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Posted at 2017-11-8 01:26:23 | All floors
ttaazz Posted at 2017-11-7 17:23
That would be cool if it could be done as there is an unselectable option in the parameters to hid ...

The Google Search Bar on the home screen will go away if you disable the Google App and reboot the phone.

I like Firefox Focus, it's more lightweight.

The bad news is if you disable Google App, you can't use voice search anymore, and I think speech to text stopped working too.
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Posted at 2017-11-8 06:58:50 | All floors
I agree that there needs to be an option to disable the pointless (IMHO) 'new' navigation toolbar! I am hesitant to perform the latest update since it sounds as though even when it is 'hidden' it eats up *very valuable* screen space - from what I understand, this is the case even when a different launcher is used.

@ttaazz, Speaking of which, I'm using Nova Launcher - which is great! - and it allows you to simply toggle off the Google Search Bar - Good Bye!  The free version of Nova Launcher on the Google Play store includes this capability. I don't have any experience with other third party launchers, but they probably have this option as well.
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Posted at 2017-11-8 22:05:30 | All floors
Last edited by metalson In 2017-11-8 22:06 Editor

I agree the nav bar is useless, please remove and the google bar too.
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Posted at 2017-11-9 01:10:48 | All floors
Last edited by Lee In 2017-11-9 01:13 Editor
ttaazz Posted at 2017-11-8 17:15
I've tried Nova launcher too, but the only problem I have with it is that you cannot change the num ...

I'm glad that you got that working, but I'm surprised about 2 things:
1) I don't seem to have your problem on Nova; I can set the number of number of columns to whatever I want, irrespective of the font size. (I do have "Big grid sizes enabled" under the "Lab settings" - that may be why.)
2) I can't handle the smallest font size! I go down that far only for the rare webpage layout in which buttons, etc are hidden at larger font sizes.
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Posted at 5 DayBefore | All floors
Go into settings, then under Smart Assist look for Buttons, open that and at the top will be a switch that says NavBar on, just switch the top switch there off.
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Posted at 5 DayBefore | All floors
Brian Posted at 2017-11-14 14:50
Go into settings, then under Smart Assist look for Buttons, open that and at the top will be a switc ...

Thanks: got the switch in landscape mode. But this option only permit to be able to hide or not the nav bar, not disable it...

Well, maybe with the next upgrade :-/
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list